[discuss] Brazil's Marco Civil approved by Chamber of Deputies!!

Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Wed Mar 26 00:58:04 UTC 2014

Dear all,

The final version of the text is here:
http://www.camara.gov.br/proposicoesWeb/prop_mostrarintegra?codteor=1238705&filename=Tramitacao-PL+2126/2011
Sorry its not in English and in a pdf file 0.o But I'm sure people will be
working in the translations around here.

It's not perfect, but it is a great achievement and we will keep fighting
as we still have to approve it in the Senate.
Not sure if NetMundial comes first or before... probably first.

The level of coordination of representatives from civil society to reach
this was really amazing! it's a happy day for the Brazilians concerned with
internet rights indeed!

all the best

joana

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

> At 01:15 26/03/2014, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>
>> [sorry for eventual duplicates, you will understand why]
>> Dear people, very good news from Brazil: after a nearly four-year battle,
>> "Marco Civil da Internet" (Internet's Civil Rights Framework) was approved
>> by the Brazilian Chamber of Deputies.
>>
>> Our dear ex-minister of Culture and staunch militant for the cause,
>> Gilberto Gil, just posted on twitter:
>>
>> "Vencemos! O #MarcoCivil foi aprovado!! Por uma rede
>> neutralizada,liberdade de expressão e proteção à privacidade!"
>> "We won! #MarcoCivil has been approved!! For net neutrality, freedom of
>> expression and protection of privacy!"
>>

> Bravo!
> B R I L L I A N T  as in BRAZIL !!!
>
> Would you have an URL for the final text, if possible in English.
> I would suggest that this text be added to the press information on
> netmubdial.br to show the world what the IG is about when enacted by a
> people.
>
> I have a question for the Brazilian winners! (who also host the Sao Paulo
> meeting): according to your new law, what is an Internet stakeholder? What
> the place of ICANN?
>
> M G

Joana Varon Ferraz
@joana_varon