[discuss] NTIA role

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Mar 27 21:55:54 UTC 2014

Dominique:
The ICANN document you cite is actually inaccurate in a critical way. It presents the GNSO as a separate policy making organization comparable to the RIRs or the IETF. But the GNSO is a part of ICANN; funded by ICANN, supported by its staff, often overridden by GAC and Board.

A much better diagram is the one developed by InternetNZ and featured in a recent IGP blog post:
http://www.internetgovernance.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014-03-ICANN-IANA-Role-Structures.pdf

this shows clearly the distinctions between policy development functions, operational functions, oversight, etc.