[discuss] What is MSism?

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 06:58:28 UTC 2014

I strongly agree with these points of view, especially Stephen Farrell’s observation at the bottom of this post.

IMO multistakeholderism as a concept simply implies that those groups affected by how an issue is dealt with are at the table and are able to contribute.  It could also mean that no one stakeholder can control the process over the objections of others.  But that is a very, very broad definition.  It excludes the government of North Korea.

The organizations that we are focusing our attention on are instances, or instantiations, of an MS principle.  When we focus out attention on any one of these organizations, then it is the particular circumstances of that organization that is of interest, not they they are multistakeholder.

Issues regarding representational principles in MS organizations may be important, but IMO are better left to the academic sphere. Such discussions are unlikely to contribute to the problems that we discuss on this list.  So as Stephen says, “let’s not do that."

George

(Perhaps we should call this m14s, in the spirit of i18n.  Is my count right?)