[discuss] What is MSism?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 15:24:24 UTC 2014

Hi Pranesh,

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> [2014-03-28 08:07:38 -0400]:
>
>> <cc list trimmed as per good netiquette>
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tks McTim,
>>>
>>> That paper does provide some clarity while overall reinforcing my central
>>> point  -- multistakeholderism transfers power to the beneficiaries of the
>>> Internet and away from the democracy that gives protection to everyone
>>> else.
>>

>> Your insistence that MSism is a new pheonomenon in IG ignores the
>> history of the past 40 years.
>

> Who are the "multiple" stakeholder groups in, for instance, the IETF? What
> role did civil society and business play in policy formulation in IG in
> these 40 years?  Were they "co-equals" with government?

there are zero groupings in the IETF.

All "stakeholders" come together as co-equals in a WG.

Civil Society (and biz) were the only real actors in IG during the
first few decades, doing the coordination, collaboration,
communication, etc needed to build the network.

I see gov's only really getting involved in the last 15 years or so,
with the France v. Yahoo case perhaps a watershed moment.  (USG
funding being an exception of course).

rgds,

McTim