[discuss] Transparency and Accountability vis-à-vis ICANN and the IANA functions

Dr. Ben Fuller ben at fuller.na
Sun Mar 30 18:58:21 UTC 2014

George,

These are good points. I think there is a need to separate ICANN's (and its successor) functions. First, there is the technical IANA function that must follow its own protocols with regard to changes in the root zone. Milton Meuller has been posting a lot about this and he probably has some insights into this side of the process. Second, ICANN has a number of associated constituencies (GAC, CNSO, ccNSO, ALAC, etc.) that have a direct interest in DNS operations. Third, there are, or may be in the future, ad hoc or long standing groups that have a temporary or transient need to engage with ICANN, or its successor, over specifically defined issues. It might be good here to think of the "Onion Skin" perspective in the Strategic Engagement Report.

In each of the above it will be necessary to define "accountability" and "transparency." While there may be cross cutting principles, each will require a specific set of deliverables for how accountability and transparency are defined, measured and resolved.

Perhaps it will be good to look at some core principles that will apply everywhere, then focus on the onion skin and look at those that may apply at the different levels.

Best,

Ben