[discuss] [bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at internet-ecosystem.org
Sat May 3 08:37:00 UTC 2014

- all the double posting.

Michael, I’m a European, and in addition I actually live in Europe. What’s roiling Europe right now is the Ukraine crisis - not this stuff.

Could I ask - once again - that we try to keep /1net discussions focussed how to collaborate on issues where there’s a possibility of (1) all communities actually seeing there is an issue, and (2) through dialogue agreeing on some common points about that issue?

I think I’m on very safe ground in saying that this entire meme does not meet either of those conditions.

Could I also ask that entire long articles from publications not be copied wholesale into list correspondence? While I am not, some people are paying for mobile access to this list, and this simply increases their costs and downloading time for communications. A link should suffice.

On 3 May 2014, at 09:55, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> This discussion is currently roiling Europe and beyond.
>
> The discussion and Zuboff's analysis has very significant implications for the matters of Multistakeholder governance which are currently being triumphantly trumpeted in these contexts and beyond. The issues that Zuboff is pointing to with specific reference to Google and surveillance underlie the drive to include companies like Google and others directly in decision making through multistakeholder processes/Internet Governance.
>
> It hardly takes a huge flight of imagination to recognize the signals concerning the extreme danger that MSism represents in the context of Zuboff's arguments i.e. giving Google (et al) effective veto power over and a highly influential (and potentially unstoppable role in) decision making in areas key to controlling what Zuboff calls "the rise of absolute power".
>
> (And for the Multistakeholderists among us here is a critical response from a former senior employee of another Silicon Valley corporate giant--Yahoo https://www.facebook.com/benjaminbratton/posts/10152082644097966?stream_ref=10 )

<Snip> the rest of a gigantically long reproduction of an article.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Executive Director, Internet & Digital Ecosystem Alliance (IDEA)
Tel: +41 (22) 534 99 45
Fax: : +41 (22) 594-85-44
Mobile: +41 79 595 5468
USA Tel: +1 (202) 640-5430
email/IM (Jabber/GTalk): nashton at internet-ecosystem.org
PGP Fingerprint: BFD5  DF7 7 2E D5 8 636  92E7  735 7 07 03 7 727  9B0A  522 6
Skype: nashtonhart
www.internet-ecosystem.org