[discuss] [bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed May 7 04:48:06 UTC 2014

Of course there is a lot of special pleading (although I didn't read this article as of that sort), but the issue is not protection for academic publishers (for whom I have absolutely no regard or loyalty) but rather concerning the larger issue of a global monopoly over a vital product/service.

The reason the US (and other G's) (were forced to) move in to regulate the oil monopoly, the railroads, the telephone system, the electrical grid was not to protect the coal oil/dray horse/pony express/kerosene industries of their time but rather because a single company (or a small consortium of colluding companies) had (natural) monopoly positions in products/services that were of specific national interest and where the risk of the improper use of that monopoly position outweighed even the extreme laissez faire ideologies of the time.

Since Google with 91% (?) of the global search market (i.e. providing organized and facilitated access to the information of the world) would seem to fall into that category then the issue is not protection for a single industry but rather protection for multiple industries and for the public good.