[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Wed May 14 01:00:34 UTC 2014

Hi Chris

On 14/05/2014, at 12:52 pm, Chip Sharp (chsharp) <chsharp at cisco.com> wrote:

> Now is being proposed the idea that Net Neutrality includes business relationships that don’t require direct manipulation of data flow in the network.  Zero rating is one example of this, but not the only one.
>
> Is this is really a Net Neutrality issue or is it an example of an innovative business offering?

In countries where data caps are common this is often seen as a net neutrality issue.

At a technical level the traffic is actually treated differently if the data cap is exceeded, when it will not be subject to the same sanctions applied to non-zero-rated traffic, which is commonly to rate limit or to block entirely.

regards
Jay