[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

FSP4NET alliance at fsp4.net
Wed May 14 06:50:57 UTC 2014

At 03:43 14/05/2014, Ali Hussein wrote:
>@fsp4net
>I think the post from Chip sort of answers your query to my post?

At 03:43 14/05/2014, Ali Hussein wrote:
>@fsp4net
>I think the post from Chip sort of answers your query to my post?

It does.

However, the reason why we want to work on a fail-secure plan for the
nets and support the concept of a VGNSO is that we consider
infrastructures from an independent user initiative and not from an
ISP point of view. This makes us to pragmatically separate the three
catenet, internet and VGNs realities.

This is simply because my browser, my OS, my mobile, my mailbox, my
dropbox, my apps, my bank account, my sources of updates, my
firewall, my antivirus, my facebook, my twitter, my favorites, my ISP
competitive proposition, my passwords, my box, my wifi, the NSA
involvement, my domain names, my site, my VPS, etc. start making a
big virtual global network of resources I am to manage, rationalize
and pay and a "digitality" of mine within the world digital ecosystem
I need to know, and master before I can even use it!

Our reasoning is as follows: I am somewhere in the world, with my
personality, my business, my family, etc.: I look at the way I can
internet with other peoples and optimize my connection(s) for the
budget I can spend for my digital relations. So I look first at the
connections and machnes (hardware). Then at the way to get content
through and process it (software). Then at what I can do with it and
others (brainware). In so doing I am no more theorical than needed to
pragmatically get results. Very grassroots and I see that the needs
and solutions are quite similar everywhere.

Where I leave I have 6 Meg max wifi. So I must spend a lot of money
for a remote machine I would have replicated at home would I have
access to fiber. And I would not have got hacked by ICANN aficionados
to punish me to support VGN experimentations :-)

Neutrality for me is everything that helps, in a fair and legal
manner, reducing the barriers to my free exchange capability for what
I intend to do. I am certainly aware that there can be fair
neutrality justments of technical, economical, political nature since
what I want to do is not what Google wants to do for me. This is
where a certain "digizen" attitude must develop within the Internet Governance.

Our idea is that:

(1) this digizenship is something the multitude must polycratically
(i.e. a well studied and described extension of democracy to
self-sovereign stakeholders and individualities) develop in common,
with the help of states, civil society, business, technicians,
academics, etc. And we know this will not develop and deploy in one day.

(2) the diversity among these stakeholders and individualities makes
the common technology itself the only mutually bounding possible
"treaty" (we say "concordance": code is law, law induces code). So we
prefer to consider ethitechnic issues and equilibria than the
survival of ICANN in an obsolete form. IANA transition for us does
not mean a supervision transfer from NTIA to ICANN, but the
transition of the nascent digizenry from an US supervized IANA to a
non multitudarily supervized IANA (this supervision becoming the
result of a supervision by billions of VGN supervisor programs and
Masters and will serve as a common informational spine to billions of
customized VGNICs - virtual global network information center).

jfc
fsp4net alliance