[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Wed May 14 19:23:03 UTC 2014

+1 Carlos AA.

The kind of scenarios I am used to from this part of the world are as
follows (to name just two main of them.)

1) The provider (solely a mobile network) offers different packages at a
flat rate depending on different data caps, but speed remains the same. For
instance, one can choose to subscribe to 10 Gb over a 30 day period, which
are provided at the speed of 8 Mbps (like all the other packages.) In that
case when the customer reaches exhausts the 10 Gb (presumably of data
transmission due to her use of internet services), the traffic is not
blocked but gets slower. Concretely, they claim you can still get your
email without a problem but web pages will take notably longer to download.

Other packages include 3, 50 and 150 Gb. All of them are valid over 30
days. Because there's no blocking and one may still use internet services
beyond those caps, they say those packages are all unlimited.

2) The provider (legacy fixed phone plus mobile network operator) offers an
unlimited "high-speed" connectivity at a flat monthly rate. The general
perception, in my view, being that such high-speed is a little slower than
the competitor's 8Mbps.

Now I'm not sure price differentiation based on caps on the data volume to
be transmitted at a given speed (the same across the board, by the way)
over a given period of time, all of which is contractually agreed upon
upfront (scenario 1 above), is a NN issue. But I'm ready to listen to
anyone who thinks and can show otherwise.

Mawaki

Mawaki Chango, PhD
Founder and Owner
DIGILEXIS