[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat May 17 20:23:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> >Hmm...this is unfair, perhaps to further appreciate the situation. Could
> >you kindly educate me on what "premium" really mean? does it mean comcast
> >charges netflix more than the normal port cost?
>
> It seems that's what Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is complaining about:
>

> http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-ceo-reed-hastings-blasts-comcast-2014-3
>
> I think the url is quite helpful in appreciating the situation of things.
The way i have now understood it is that Neflix sees itself not just as a
content provider but as a provider that should be treated similar to other
"Big ISPs" who make no-fee interconnection (transit) agreement. However i
think netflix may have not taken into consideration that they are a
"network" with specific/tailored service and by that missed the fact that
those "Big ISPs" that interconnect do have several other networks behind
them that provide different services (all which make up the Internet). On
that basis, it may be difficult to implement a no-fee bill to netflix.

However on the other hand, considering that Netflix is almost a regional
intranet service of comcast. Considering also that certain percentage of
comcast users may actually have subscribed to comcast just to enjoy netflix
service means that comcast is also making its money. The business thinking
comcast would therefore ensure to keep neflix on their network by offering
a no-fee connection to their servers. It would have been easy for netflix
to play a game of threatening to pull out of comcast only if they had an
alternative to provide their services to their customer without reduction
in performance. This is familiar power of monopoly obviously in play!

> Since it was built on government protected markets it is reasonable for
> the govt to intervene.
>
> Of course it might be reasonable even if it were not built on govt
> protected markets but the fact that it was would seem to make their
> jurisdiction more clear.

I agree

Thanks

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng