[discuss] [bestbits] Draft statement on making IGF permanent

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Tue Sep 2 15:21:49 UTC 2014

I will only add to my last comment that I don't understand the
diplomatic or institutional implications of calling for "permanent"
mandate rather than a "continuing or open-ended mandate".

I expect the point behind this proposal is not to enshrine IGF as a
forever fixture on the world but to prolong and enhance the IGF at the
UN. That seems laudable.

From a purely semantic perspective I prefer the term "continuing" or
"open ended" to "permanent".  The formation of the IGF Support
Association it is timely to ask the UN to continue its mandate now. So I
thank those who have taken the initiative to write this.

Christian