[discuss] [bestbits] Re: Draft statement on making IGF permanent

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:18:10 UTC 2014

Hi George,

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [cross-posted to BestBits list due to commonality of discussion]
>
> <snippet>
>
> Furthermore, if you look at the UN's record on the development side of
> computing and networking, it's not good.  The last two efforts, the
> committee headed by the nice Russian guy Sergei from 2000-2004, and GAID
> from 2005-2008 headed by Sarbuland Khan, have done virtually nothing to
> assist in ICT for Development.  Worse, they have spent millions of dollars,
> and worst of all, by virtue of their existence, they have pre-empted the
> center of discussion and have thereby prevented the possible emergence of
> more innovative and useful.  I would not expect any permanent role for the
> IGF within the UN to produce any better results.

Just to make sure I understand you well, isn't the structure and the
participatory model of IGF different enough from those two examples you
just cited so as to expect different results regardless of the level of
institutionalization with the UN? Otherwise stated, are you assuming with
your above assertion that an evolution toward a "permanent" body within the
UN ecosystem (to use a fashionable term) would necessarily mean the
disappearance of the multistakeholder ownership and bottom-up nature of the
IGF processes?

Again and to state it more explicitly, by asking this, I'm not necessarily
advocating the creation of a new UN body for IGF.
Thanks,

Mawaki