[discuss] [governance] Draft statement on making IGF permanent

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:36:26 UTC 2014

Hello all,

i give full supoort on this wonderfull initiative. According my agenda, I
trust to all contribution and will be ready to sign final document.

> Hi all,
>
> Stephanie Perrin and I have drafted a statement that asks the UN Secretary
> to consider renewing the mandate of the IGF on a permanent basis.
>
> About 90% of the text are quotes from UN documents referring to the IGF
> and from the NetMundial Statement.
>
> Our draft is intended to reflect the views of all stakeholders and perhaps
> get a broad endorsement at the end of the IGF.
>
> Right now, it is just a draft. Changes are welcome.
>
> We have set up a pad for editing:
>
> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/LQO468JD1K
>
> For convenience we also paste the text into this email below.
>
> The goal is to complete the editing before the end of the IGF.
>
> Stephanie and Jeanette
>

> Request for consideration to the UN Secretary General on permanence of the
> IGF
>

> In 2005, the UN Member states asked the UN Secretary-General in the Tunis
> Agenda, to convene a meeting of the new forum for multi-stakeholder policy
> dialogue—called the Internet Governance Forum (IGF). (Footnote: paragraph
> 72, Tunis Agenda)
> The mandate of the Forum was to discuss public policy issues relating to
> key elements of Internet governance, such as those enumerated in
> the Tunis Agenda, in order to foster the sustainability, robustness,
> security, stability and development of the Internet in developed and
> developing countries. The Forum was not to replace existing arrangements,
> mechanisms, institutions or organizations. It was intended to constitute a
> neutral, non-duplicative and non-binding process, and have no involvement
> in day-to-day or technical operations of the Internet.
> The Tunis Agenda also asked the UN Secretary-General to examine the
> desirability of the continuation of the Forum, in formal consultation with
> Forum participants, within five years of its creation, and to make
> recommendations to the UN Membership in this regard. At its sixty-fifth
> session, the General Assembly decided to extend the mandate of the IGF,
> underlining the need to improve the IGF “with a view to linking it to the
> broader dialogue on global Internet governance”.
> In his note on the continuation of the Internet Governance Forum, the UN
> Secretary General confirmed that the IGF was unique and valuable. It is a
> place where Governments, civil society, the private sector and
> international organizations discuss important questions of economic and
> social development. They share their insights and achievements and build a
> common understanding of the Internet’s great potential.
>

> The Secretary-General recommended that
> (a) That the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum be extended for a
> further five years;
> (b) That the desirability of continuation be considered again by Member
> States within the context of a 10-year review of implementation of the
> outcome of the World Summit on the Information Society in 2015;

> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*
*REPRESENTANT TICAFRICA ET CYBERVILLAGE at FRICA/RDC*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFECCOORDINATION NATIONALE REPRONTIC*

Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr