[discuss] [IANAxfer] [ccnso-igrg] Two accountability questions - help pls- Workshop 23 - ICANN accountability

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Fri Sep 5 07:34:37 UTC 2014

At the opening of today's IGF main session on IANA functions'
transition, a speaker talked about IANA as if it were an entity in itself.

I now see this phrase from John Curran's msg below: "If one supposes
that IANA is to be simultaneously accountable to a registry policy
development body (e.g. the IETF, or gNSO) and also to an association of
individual users, and then there is a conflict in expectations, the IANA
would need to make a "judgement" and that should not be IANA task.
Setting up any structure where the IANA may decide not to follow the
adopted policy is actually making it _less accountable_ to the direct
IANA user community for accurate operation."

Of course John knows what IANA means. And of course a set of functions
is unable to make judgements -- humans/institutions do (for the good or
the bad of it). I wonder if other discussants have the same clarity, so
I think we should be extra-careful with our terminology.

IMHO

--c.a.