[discuss] Internet Ungovernance Forum Brasil

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at riseup.net
Thu Jun 25 15:47:03 UTC 2015

Dear friends,

2014 we had the Internet Ungovernance Forum in Istanbul in Turkey. Now,
this year, this people organize it in Brasil.

I think, this is the most important event in this year to the theme:
Internet Governance.

many greetings, willi
Porto Alegre, Brasil

Internet Ungovernance Forum Brasil
November 2015
João Pessoa - Paraíba, Brasil
http://iuf.partidopirata.org/index-en.html

Internet Ungovernance Forum Brasil is for those of us who demand free,
secure, and open internet for all!

We're organizing the Internet Ungovernance Forum on November 2015, for
everyone who demand that fundamental freedoms, openness, unity and net
neutrality remain the building blocks of the Internet. Our objective is
to talk about the true and real problems of the internet, how can we
solve them and to chart a path for action.

Our forum will be in parallel to the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
2015 which will also be held in João Pessoa in november. Interested
parties all around the world will join and follow this important event.
However, we see that at IGF the most urgent problems of the Internet do
not get proper attention. Due to its format, the main perpetrators of
many of the Internet's problems, for example the governments and
corporations, are getting representation in IGF that they don’t deserve.
Given these circumstances, we decided to take initiative to defend the
Internet as we know it and to create a parallel space to raise the
voices of civil society initiatives, activists and common people.

For us, the most vital problems today are censorship and freedom of
speech; surveillance and privacy; excessive commercialization and
super-monopolies; protective, prohibitionist and conservative governance
approaches; awful governance examples as in the case of Brasil and the
list goes on. Further, we do not see any of these problems independent
of the greater political, social and economic contexts in which the
Internet and related digital infrastructures are embedded in.

We want to reclaim the Internet as a fundamental infrastructure of our
societies, cities, education, health, work, media, communications,
culture and everyday activities.

We call on our participants to resist seeing the problems of the
Internet as only technological and void of its materiality.