[discuss] another netmundial? - was 💰I think I've found it!

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 3 13:45:35 UTC 2017

I am not supporting a second NETMundial. In fact, in the IGF Improvements WG, I

suggested that we add in the Outcome document of NETMundial. The way that you

affect change is to advance how the Outcome can be examined both at the IGF Improvements,

and also at the CSTD Enhanced Cooperation WG.

NETMundial is reputed to have cost well over a million dollars. It was a phenomenal

experiment and made a lot of breakthroughs in many areas -- not the least was the miracle

of high level government reps standing at a mike and accepting limited speaking time slots!

I am not kidding about how even that has changed how governments expect to engage

in other settings now.  But more policy proposals were also presented.

There are now many more other fora in place and attention could be paid by those

who espoused the NETmundial recommendations to whether those fora are aware of

and examining or even reflecting on and building on.

Sometimes it is important NOT to start over or repeat what you have done once.

I personally think that our energy needs to move forward even more strongly to strengthen

the IGF.  Perhaps, however, it could be proposed to have a Day Zero half day examination of

progress since NETMundial at IGF2018 or 2020?

Marilyn