[discuss] On the political side ....

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Mar 16 15:23:42 UTC 2014

1. On the US face:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/03/gop_blasts_decision_to_cut_ties_with_icann.html
No comment needed ....  Will Obamanet be a new Obamacare?

2. On the EU face:

At 08:19 16/03/2014, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>Until now the United States has had the final say in changes to
>globally used data on top-level Internet domain names, such as .com
>or .de.  The Commission has been pushing for such a move since 2009
>and, most recently in its Communication on Internet Policy and
>Governance of 12 February 2014, called for the globalisation of the
>IANA functions.

Nelly (or the one who has her signature) has not yet understood the DNS :-)

>"The European Commission will work together with the US and with all
>global stakeholders to implement the globalisation of the IANA
>functions in a process that is accountable and transparent, and in a
>manner that secures the open Internet and that will underpin human rights."

Nelly for sure has not read the NTIA statement: "NTIA will not accept
a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government-led or an
inter-governmental organization solution". An EC+EU work would mean a
government-led solution.

3. On the Multitude face:

However, we could forgive Nelly and her associates if they clarify
what they mean by "global stakeholders" as it can be:

- either a synonym for "incumbents and TNC"s, as expressed by the
NTIA when stating they are "committed to a transition that will allow
the private sector to take leadership for DNS management",
deliberately excluding the Civil Society from their project.

- or a clear designation of all the multitude of VGN managers.

jfc