[discuss] [Internet Policy] Net Neutrality in the next Internet

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Mar 3 13:03:30 UTC 2015

Colleagues,

I don't believe I'm on all the lists this message was copied to, so I
am responding on only one of them.  (It's anyway, IMO, a bad idea to
copy several lists because it fragments discussion.)

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 04:02:31PM +0000, nathalie coupet wrote:
> According to Van Johansen (Slow-start algorythm), the Internet should change from a ''conversational" architecture with connections between two nodes at a time, to a content-based architecture that would use the memory stored in the infrastructure through leveraging the existing buffering occurring at each hop, in order to send content to a very great number of addresses at the same time.

There is research in that area, yes.  It's called "named data
networking".  It's a fascinating area of research, but it also
involves a fairly significant transformation of the Internet
architecture, so it's not something that's going to deploy tomorrow.
(It could, mind: there's an encapsulation available already.)

> Could someone explain in more detail exactly to what buffering he is referring to, and how it would affect Net Neutrality?

I think you want to read http://named-data.net.  I don't think it has
any special implications for net neutrality, though if it were widely
deployed it might take some of the commercial urgency out of the issue
by reducing bandwidth needs.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com