[discuss] [I-coordination] New: How do we dissect Internet governance? [Was: Europe at a tipping point?]

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Dec 19 16:27:06 UTC 2013

________________________________
From: Nick Ashton-Hart [nashton at ccianet.org]

>Right now, policymakers are conflating the two together and, for example,
>making rules designed to affect content but which distort or affect the
>network that carries it.

Yes, indeed, they are. Why do you think they are doing that? Hint: it might be the cheapest and easiest way for them to control or limit access to content. And they may not care about the collateral damage.
Do you think they will stop doing that because someone says this:

>We all need to rely upon the platform and I think there’s a shared need to
>ensure it serves the largest number with the best performance at the lowest cost.

If the government of China or Saudi Arabia weighs "better performing network" against "more difficult to control content and access" which one do you think they will choose?

>The ‘governance’ or policy issues are therefore different for the two.

Again, you are ignoring the fact that governments themselves routinely conflate them.