[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee
Milton L Mueller
mueller at syr.edu
Thu Dec 19 19:16:06 UTC 2013
I must say to my colleagues in the business community, I could not imagine a worse blunder than to stack all 5 positions on a Coordinating committee concerned with global Internet governance with 5 Americans or representatives of American corporations.
Considering that US pre-eminence, either through the IANA contract or via NSA surveillance, is both a precipitant and a topic of the meeting, this selection of representatives reaches a level of transnational tone-deafness that is truly staggering. Do you have any idea what message you are sending to the rest of us? Really, now, the ICC BASIS was unable to come up with a _single_ small business, not a single Indian or Chinese or Korean or European or African entrepreneur? Heck, do they even _have_ businesses in those places? ;-)
If I were 1net, I would send this list back to with two words: get real.
** from Business:
1. Aparna Sridhar, Telecom Policy Counsel, Google
2. David Fares, Senior Vice President, Government Relations, 21st Century Fox
3. Marilyn Cade, President, ICT Strategies mCade
4. Sarah Wynn-Williams, Manager, Global Public Policy, Facebook
5. Paul Mitchell, Senior Director, Technology Policy, Microsoft Corporation
More information about the discuss