[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Dec 21 03:41:14 UTC 2013

On Dec 20, 2013, at 8:58 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I guess these things are in the eye of the beholder although I agree
> about the individuals selected.
> When I came forward to suggest that these voices should be provided an
> opportunity through the CI network (which as you know consists of some 1500
> researchers, practitioners, grassroots activists and others who of course
> are directly serving a base of communities and individuals in all parts of
> the world) to be included in these discussions I was rebuffed--not
> "miffed"--rebuffed.
>
> We are, as anyone can observe entering into a crucial round of
> meetings/discussions/even decision points concerning the future of the
> Internet and thus, I believe ultimately the future shape and even content of
> human society as a whole.  These are not trivial matters.
>
> To not insist that the range of additional voices to whom community
> informatics is pointing (unfortunately in the absence of other and more
> powerful voices) is I believe to act irresponsibly and unconscionably in
> relation to those people and to all of those whose voices are not being
> given an opportunity to be heard in these forums.

Given the importance of this matter, why don't you invite one of chosen
CS individuals to participate in the CI network?  It should not be that
difficult for someone to bring issues up and seek insights from the CI
community, and that is no different than what these folks will likely be
doing when coalescing input from other communities.

Thoughts?
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.