[discuss] Academic sector appointments to the 1net steering committee

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Dec 23 20:10:29 UTC 2013

So if you or anyone has specific recommendations to make, and that person(s) wants to be considered, I'd be happy to take this back to the GigaNet steering committee for modification. Unlike our friends in the ICC, we're not too proud to make improvements in our work.
>I believe there are Academias who will definitely be interested and willing to serve if they are >aware of this early enough and if they understood the nominating process. However, I am still

I notice you did not make any specific recommendations. I am making a good faith effort to draw on the knowledge and connections that might be present on this list. The offer still stands: provide viable names.

I think you can understand that I am not going to be greatly moved by your complaints about someone else's failure to come up with a volunteer for Africa when you yourself have not provided any either.

>Just because Giganet is based on IG does not mean that it be used as an umbrella for all
>especially as it does not have its representation in most of the continent

We do have members on all continents, in fact, including Africa. We just did not get volunteers from Africa.

>There are research education networks which are continental based that can do the

Research and education networks are part of the technical community. They are network administrators and builders. Some of them are professors, it is true, and would span both sectors. But I would consider network administrators to be tech community regardless of whether they are managing ICTs for a university or a business.

You have mentioned 3 out of 5 that has strong US affiliation, so how many do we have left ;) Nevertheless i am not all about the numbers, but about fair representation.

Nii Quaynor worked for Digital Equipment Corporation in the US for 14 years. Does his US affiliation disqualify him for representing Africa?