[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 25 19:26:29 UTC 2013

In message <A214279B-C870-4100-A1AD-70C42C14880F at arin.net>, at 15:10:27
on Wed, 25 Dec 2013, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> writes
>On Dec 25, 2013, at 6:52 AM, "Roland Perry"
><roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> As for "Governance" issues, I'm not sure the traceability issues have
>>all been solved (either for users who wish to be less traceable, or
>>law enforcement who wish users to be more traceable).
>
>Remember that  "users wish to be less traceable" is generalization
>of what many folks think they want until they are the victim of a
>serious crime over the Internet (at which point they suddenly realize
>the issue is a little more complicated...)

I agree, but there is a considerable amount of privacy advocacy, as well
as privacy-enhancing technology (some of which, some law enforcement can
work around, but it can be very hard work, especially cross-border).

>The point is that there are very important issues of privacy and
>protection for anonymous speech which vary across the Internet,
>and hence the need for a meaningful framework for adjudication
>when needed.

Not helped by a widespread feeling (which I disagree with of course)
that any victim of crime on the Internet is either greedy or stupid.

Which also conflates crime on the Internet with theft/fraud, which is
only one part of the problem.
--
Roland Perry