[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 22:40:28 UTC 2013

Thanks Anja, and of course the CI community is pleased to have you along even if only as a lurker J

And I’m sure that the work that you were doing/the contribution that you were making was a very valuable one.

However, your note raises what I think is a very significant issue that goes to the heart of many of the disputes within the IG civil society space.

There seems to be a feeling within the currently dominant forces (as for example the IG CS “Coordinating Committee”), as expressed quite clearly in the CS “selection criteria”, that somehow being anchored in a perspective/active network is a negative!  -- something to be actively excluded.

For most of CS outside of the rarefied IG environment, being anchored in, and having the opportunity of giving voice to a significant network is the ideal—a goal to be actively pursued.

In fact most CS organizations as for example in the Environmental area, Land Rights, even Privacy are coalitions of precisely those kinds of networks…  Of course, there is negotiation and horse trading between the networks—they have different goals and represent different social interests etc. but there is no attempt to suppress those networks.

I think it is a pity that you haven’t participated more actively in the Community Informatics network and chosen to link your activities within WSIS to your (limited) engagement with the CI network… I think the interaction, as for example, in helping you to formulate your perspectives and positions vis-à-vis WSIS would have added for you and for the CI community.

As for setting up a dichotomy, it wasn’t me who set up the dichotomy but I was simply pointing to the reality. I’m delighted to hear for example, that you have mentioned Indigenous people in your presentation at WSIS, it means that some of what I’ve been saying is starting to filter through. But simply mentioning Indigenous people without having a link to Indigenous people and their concerns is precisely the kind of top down speaking for others that they and many marginalized peoples find so repellant.

The intent and to a considerable degree the reality of the CI network is that it gives various of these groups (and the  ICT practitioners and academics working to enable them) an electronic space for them to interact and to give voice to their concerns.  Notably among the current signers of the CI Declaration is the Indigenous People’s ICT Task Force as an example.

Best,

Mike