[discuss] Government Engagement model [2 of 2] (was: Re: IPv6 Deployment and IG)

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 09:59:47 UTC 2013

This thought experiment illustrates very well the kind of approach I have
in mind when I wrote the following, from IG perspective overall, which Nick
referred to as 'unpacking'.

> Let people (politicians, the social crowd, part of academia and even some
of the techies) voice their concerns. Let the technical community (design
and specification of technologies, protocols and standards, plus DNS, IP
addresses and ASN operations, and to the extent technically competent in
the matter at hand hybrid players such as ISOC and academia) engage and
explain to all of us that some of those concerns are ill-scoped in the
context of "internet governance" at the global level, and why (part of this
category may be better forgotten about, part may be issues to address
between governments or within national polities in areas that are not
specifically Internet, etc.); but some other concerns may be tackled with
some technical contribution and these are possible trade-offs; and no these
other ones we know for sure will create a far more nefarious situation that
what you guys are complaining about and this is how, etc.

This needs not to remain just a thought experiment or an hypothetical
scenario. One only needs to welcome genuine engagement with those who have
concerns and wanted this kind of meeting in order to air them and try to
have them addressed, and be humble enough in order to help create a
conducive environment for a productive dialog. Then one might see actual
instances of what is now hypothetical emerge. Unfortunately, for some
particularly on the tech side of things (and I'm not pointing finger to the
whole TC or the I* as a whole), unless the other stakeholders can speak
their (tech-savvy) language, which they seem to consider THE language of
Internet affairs, and translate their concerns into a precise definition of
a problem _in terms of that language, and only of that language_ there is
nothing worth talking about.

The issue with that is if we keep refusing to do the _work_ of listening to
the concerns of others, so as to help once for all put to rest the ones
that are unwarranted, to better define the others (if any) and refer them
to their respective appropriate context/ definition domain, they will keep
coming back one way or the other even if in different forms (like they have
now 10 years after WSIS).

I realize there are a lot of misunderstandings from the part of many
governments. Whatever USG does with the Internet, which they and possibly
most of the world finds outrageous (eg, the NSA overreaching surveillance
program), they are quick to ascribe that to the particular status of USG in
the IG environment (with ICANN, the IANA authority/contact, etc.) while
that may not be accurate. Indeed, that might just be due to the fact that
i) most global internet companies are US-based and are subject to the US(G)
jurisdiction; ii) USG is smart enough with the technology (via the related
manpower available to them) to play with it in their/ the government
self-asserted interest (eg, national security, etc.) None of those issues
can be directly changed or decided upon through a global IG process. But
that does't mean we can't listen and try to understand (even beyond what
people are readily and explicitly able to articulate) what their problem
might be with the internet and see what can be improved and explain in
definite terms what cannot change.

Governments, especially from developing countries, usually feel ITU listens
to their concerns but they see they can't get anything done about the
Internet through ITU. On the other hand when they want to voice those
concerns in multistakeholder processes, some quarters just dismiss them as
dumb or irrelevant, or at any rate they feel they are not listened to, not
given any consideration. The next thing you might know is that they are
turning to China (which is, in its own way, the other smart government as
far as its political interests) to import technology and know-how and to
train their engineers in order to help them play with internet at home. So
much for "one net" and no to balkanization of the internet. Well, maybe we
will still have US trade agreements to save the "global" Internet with
special clauses.

Mawaki