[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Dec 30 17:18:15 UTC 2013

At 16:42 30/12/2013, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>But I've to agree with you, no doubt end users are completely
>misrepresented in the IG world.

As fighting and obtaining for them to be represented and defended for
a long time, I can testify why: they are not interested because they
have the distinct feeling that the digital stuff is too complicated
(I did not say complex) to be sure (and secure) and therefore they do
not see why they would spend time on understanding and discussing its
patches before it tries again and again to be better. When there is
one single multilingual "internet book" instead of 7,000+ RFCs this
might improve.

Look at the dedication of Joop Teemstra trying to build-up the IDNHO
(internet domain name holders organization) for nearly a a decade. We
had more than1200 voting meembers at the last vote for a Board. This
lead to ATLARGE. France at large was denied by ICANN on the ground that
... we did not see why we would need a banking account :-)!!! Well,
this did not prevent us to ran a two years ICP-3 Community based
multi-dns test bed and to report it (in French).

Users belong to two groups: end-users and lead-users. Lead-users are
those who know how, or are interested in modifying their internet
experience to suit their needs. The IUCG at IETF was set-up for them in
the IETF context. They are more interested in credible internet
extensions (much like are trades, and seemingly Fadi). Up to know,
the fear was however, to be confused with crime (as in the P2P's
case). Snowden has removed that fear: now everyone knows that crime
includes Govs.

We will see what happens with the Sao Paulo local hackers. Very fun
that Dilma chose that city for the meeting.
jfc