[discuss] [IANAtransition] A Summary of IANA Oversight Transition Tasks and Issues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 2 12:07:51 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 02 April 2014 12:34 PM, Naresh Ajwani wrote:

> I agree but both shud come under same/common framework of laws.
>
> Regards & best wishes
>
> Naresh Ajwani
>
> On 2 Apr 2014 09:53, "Joseph Alhadeff" <joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
> <mailto:joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     We all have a vested interest in road safety, but not everyone
>     should repair cars or pave roads.

I think this is an interesting analogy with regard to ICANN oversight
issue. Not everyone should repair cars or pave roads, but everyone will
be involved in broad/ higher oversight of these functions - there are
regulations both about cars and roads. And such regulation - at at arms
length from implicated technical functions, derive their authority from
legitimate political bodies, which in term derive it from the public.

>      There are topics related to the rules and overall administration
>     of the system which need to be inclusive but there are operational
>     elements which depend on skills and expertise.

Yes, exactly.

>     Where and how do we draw those boundaries?

As to how boundaries between technical and oversight function are drawn,
it is obvious that these have to be drawn in a political legitimate
manner, whereby clear rules are instituted for the oversight role. This
drawing of boundaries is a higher political function, and not a
technical one. Clear rules and possibility of judicial review of
decisions of the oversight body should ensure that there is no
illegitimate interference in technical and operational functions of the
technical bodies (this much is clearly said in Tunis agenda).

parminder