[discuss] Why oversight? (was Re: Opportunity for input on the development process forIANAoversight transition plan)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Apr 2 18:48:55 UTC 2014

At 13:14 02/04/2014, Joseph Alhadeff wrote:
>Without need to revert to the potential of evil conspiracy,

Dear Joseph,
I appreciate the way you evaluate WSIS consensus and world democracy :-)!

>there is an established concept of separation of duties in security,
>audit and governance.  The concept that parties who share a broad
>but not identical interest in providing a similar service will not
>or would never align those interests to abuse or game the system is
>not sufficient safeguard.  Is it a likely scenario that they would,
>perhaps not, but we are supposed to be improving on the system.  I
>do not believe that the oversight of everyone potentially impacted
>is the solution either as we need to understand needed skills and
>efficiencies in the system, but having some, even light touch, but
>credible nongovernmental oversight structure facilitates transition
>more that just "trust us".

I understand that you just want me not to trust my democratically
elected government, and the security, audit and governance experts I
pay through my taxes. I fully understand that after Iraq, NSA, and
the root lies you do not personally trust the US government and
prefer to check and manage things by yourself, but I only suspect my
own government of mischief not of duplicity. This seems to be the
difference between you and me. We keep faith in the impact of our votes.

I do not say that the solution is an oversight of everyone
potentially impacted; I say that everyone potentially impacted should
be treated on an equal footing. In applying equal footing, I do not
preselect the participants. This is the NTIA MSism vs. the IETF one.

jfc