[discuss] A thought experiment - what follows the 'IANA transition?'

DAVID JOHNSON davidr.johnson at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 00:29:10 UTC 2014

Whether the MS model could be applied successfully to other (non-technical) areas of potentially global concern is a question of whether the decisions reached via such a process could be enforced (complied with) on a (generally) global basis.
IETF works because its standards are accepted (thanks to network effects)
ICANN "works" because its control of the root zone file leads to contracts that it can enforce.
Governance grows out of effective force (the barrel of a digital gun, as it were).

It is one thing to say that lots of different entities should sign affirmations of commitments together. (or exchange information and collaborate in various ways)
It is quite a different thing to say that everyone should join a MS process and agree, enforceably, to be bound by the results.
When global rules are needed to keep the net running, maybe that is possible.
When we are talking about how to regulate the content flowing over the net, by electronic force (revocation of domain names, inter alia), more challenging.

We have to be wise about when NOT to try to make global rules (and how NOT to try to enforce them).

drj