[discuss] A thought experiment - what follows the 'IANA transition?'

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Thu Apr 3 00:18:38 UTC 2014

Maybe I've said this already (and maybe more than once).   The MS model has been useful for and applied to policy development in the ICANN GNSO since well before I became involved in ICANN in 2007.  The GNSO's role is entirely policy development, it does not set technical standards.  In sum, the MS model is not some new untried "off-label" process for policy development.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of michael gurstein
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:41 PM
To: 'S Moonesamy'; parminder at itforchange.net; 'Alejandro Pisanty'; discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] A thought experiment - what follows the 'IANA transition?'

No, I'm not arguing for that although I think it is a discussion very well worth having...

Rather I am trying to find out what people think is the extent of possible application of the MS model for policy decision making.  As I noted in my blogpost and in several interventions on this list there seems to be something of a sleight of hand going on, where the usefulness and application of the MS model in quite narrow technical areas as for example through the IETF provides a basis for applying the MS model in much broader areas of Global (Internet) Governance.

And I'm curious what advocates of the MS model think about that.