[discuss] H.R 4367 : Internet Stewardship Act of 2014

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:12:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Shatan, Gregory S. <GShatan at reedsmith.com>wrote:

>   Even if either bill gets out of committee and is passed by the
> Republican-controlled House, it will need to go on to the
> Democratic-controlled Senate, pass there, and the be signed into law by
> President Obama.  I don't think this is likely to happen.

Thanks for this; for explaining how the senate works in the US. In my
country, there is one senate and it is either the majority go (as example
republican-controlled) in support of a bill or not. A bill only go through
the senate house collectively  and not through senate party representations
(as you have described above).

> What it is doing is focusing scrutiny and visibility on the transition
> process (and on the Congresspeople that have sponsored these bills).  It
> may also result in some form of understanding regarding the nature and
> scope of US government (including Congressional) oversight of the NTIA and
> their decision-making process on the IANA transition.

Hopefully the understanding that emerge will be toward improving further
penetration and openness of the Internet as we know it today. Otherwise i
did prefer not to have such understanding unveiled ;)

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*