[discuss] ICANN proposal for NTIA transition published

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Wed Apr 9 16:52:30 UTC 2014

It's because ICANN believes ICANN should keep the IANA function, and because ICANN wants to keep the IANA function, by any means necessary.

There are certainly proposals to take IANA out of ICANN.  I'm not sure what the "customers" of IANA think of these proposals or keeping IANA ICANN.

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of Roland Perry
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 4:56 AM
To: discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] ICANN proposal for NTIA transition published

In message
<CAK2bTy-oEQrq6zVhEgt5XD+mWGR590N1FJQ=sPND3kzYfU=ENA at mail.gmail.com>, at
11:38:10 on Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz> writes

>On a very cursory and initial read, the scope
 >rules out discussion of IANA being operated by ICANN as part of the  >conversation

Is that because it's *already assumed* that ICANN will be operating IANA at the end of all this, or because the search to find a suitable community-based organisation to operate IANA will only begin *after* the transition process itself has been agreed?
--
Roland Perry

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00