[discuss] [IANAtransition] Dear ICANN - Feedback

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 14:27:51 UTC 2014

Richard,

I’m not Suzanne but let me pick this up, and at the same time bring it back to the list where Suzanne and I posted.

In your last message, which I paste below, You do describe a problem, and you imply that a solution must meet the condition of providing "oversight to ensure that the IANA technical function continues to be properly performed and that changes to the root continue to be properly implemented.”

Does that go beyond what NTIA is now doing with respect to ICANN, i.e. do we go beyond ticking the box?  Can you be precise about, in your opinion, what such oversight would consist of and who would provide it, and what skills they would need to possess?  There are other questions to be answered also, but just getting clarity on some of them would be useful.

George

Geogre says "often I am not sure what problem is being solved, and in fact whether it is even a problem."

From my point of view, it is necessary to recall history in order to understand what problem we are trying to solve.

Jon Postel ran what we now call the IANA function to everybody's satisfaction, but, as the use of the Internet expanded, he realized that that did not scale. ISOC, Jon, and others conducted multi-stakeholder consultations (the IAHC) which came to an agreed proposed way forward (the MoU).

The US government unilaterally rejected that way forward, created ICANN and asserted oversight on the IANA function.  Not surprisingly, other governments expressed some concerns about this.  As a consequence, GAC was created.  But this did not satisfy everybody.

So the problem has always been what, if any, is the role of governments with respect to ICANN, and how, if at all, to replace the oversight role that is provided by the US government.

As I've said before, I  don't think that we would have this problem if we had proceeded as proposed by the IAHC.  However, the genie is  now out of the bottle and we have to figure out how to deal with it.

Best,
Richard