[discuss] Dear ICANN - Feedback

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Apr 15 17:10:04 UTC 2014

On April 15, 2014 at 12:09 jefsey at jefsey.com (Jefsey) wrote:
 > At 07:14 15/04/2014, Barry Shein wrote:
 > >Wouldn't the easiest way to create a broad community participation
 > >be to just use the whois database(s)?
 >
 > This would be a typical discrimination by money and technology.

I think you are making the best the enemy of the good.

That is, arguing that involving another 100M is bad because we are not
involving another 1B or 7B people.

Easily involving another ~100M people would seem to be progress if the
goal is broader participation.

One can continue from there.

 > As Paul Towmey answered Bertrand de la Chapelle who told him that
 > France's position was to consider every human  being as a
 > stakeholder: I am concered by those who pay me.
 > This would be a $ 10 a vote democracy ...
 > jfc

That would only be the case if one were to consider a whois
stakeholder group to be the only stakeholder group.

How one proceeds to involve even more people is a reasonable question.

But here are ~100M readily accessible people and organizations with
contact information etc.

Shall we continue to disenfranchise them because they are not 7B
people?

That would seem to be an argument for continuing to only involve the
"Highly Motivated and Self Selected" (HMSS) which I would guess
numbers somewhere between a few dozen and perhaps a few thousand
people, probably closer to the lower number in effect.

I don't see much more than about a dozen people participating in these
lists.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada