[discuss] What is MSism?

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:34:14 UTC 2014

Pranesh,

the IETF makes no distinction for participation or leadership based on
whether participants work in businesses, government-run research
laboratories, academic institutions (in turn, private or public.) This has
been explained in detail.

The ITU has a formal structure in which its highest decision-making body,
able for example to change the Constitution and elect the leadership, is
made up of governments only.

It distinguishes between governments and sector members. Sector members are
almost exclusively companies, with pockets deep enough to pay at least
65,000 Swiss Francs a year (they may buy more seats.) The rest of the
sector members are almost exclusively trade associations of the same
companies, i.e. they get double dips. The few truly non-commercial
organizations that are also sector members include the Red Cross (ICRC),
International Astronomical Union, and the Internet Society in a rather
specific status. Individuals are not welcome. Many sessions are closed.
Documents are not freely available (locked behind "TIES" accounts) so no
external accountability is possible. There are a few more details but they
don't substantially change this picture.

That is why most people who have followed broad participatory processes
consider the claim that the ITU is "multistakeholder" hollow.

As far as I understand Reddit and Wikipedia don't make decisions that
determine others' conduct or resources in an equivalent way so that part of
the argument may be less relevant. They provide valuable services but are
not technical coordination bodies. Plus, to the best of my knowledge, they
also don't make strong distinctions based on this kind of stakeholder
classification.

Alejandro Pisanty

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>wrote:

> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> [2014-03-30 11:24:24 -0400]:
>
>> Who are the "multiple" stakeholder groups in, for instance, the IETF? What
>>> role did civil society and business play in policy formulation in IG in
>>> these 40 years?  Were they "co-equals" with government?
>>>

>> there are zero groupings in the IETF.
>>
>> All "stakeholders" come together as co-equals in a WG.
>>

> Is Wikipedia multistakeholder?  Are online fora like Reddit
> multistakeholder?  Both Wikipedia and Reddit have detailed governance
> mechanisms and structures.  But if IETF is multistakeholder, I don't see
> how Wikipedia and Reddit are any different.
>
> Would you say ITU isn't multistakeholder?  Why not?
>
> Regards,
> Pranesh
>
> --
> Pranesh Prakash
> Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
> T: +91 80 40926283 | W: http://cis-india.org

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty