[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Apr 23 10:03:44 UTC 2014

On Apr 18, 2014, at 3:53 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> But RIRs have IPv4 addresses. Here, for example, is ARIN's current
> IPv4 inventory as of today, 2014-04-18.
>
>  https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html
>

> They even still have a /9 block which is about 12M addresses, etc.
>
> Their simple meter on that page says 1.25 /8s total space, so about
> 30M addresses.

As of today, 1.0 /8 equivalents, i.e. ARIN has reached final phase
of its IPv4 regional free pool runout plan.

> I could review that for the other 4 RIRs but we'd all get bored, fast,

Actually, it's quite exciting.  However, rather than worrying about
the state of the global Internet, perhaps you can act locally?

> The World              | bzs at TheWorld.com           | http://www.TheWorld.com

i.e. perhaps your efforts would be better investing in making
"TheWorld.com" IPv6 reachable?

   [Diamond:~] jcurran% host TheWorld.com
   TheWorld.com has address 192.74.137.5
   [Diamond:~] jcurran% host world.std.com
   world.std.com has address 192.74.137.5

As service providers globally move to using IPv6, it is beneficial if
existing content (such as http://world.std.com) is reachable via both
IPv4 _and_ IPv6 - in this manner, providers (e.g. T-Mobile) who deploy
IPv6 devices do not have to add capacity to their IPv4 translation
gateways to reach out-of-date websites.

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.