[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Feb 20 22:43:41 UTC 2014

On 20-Feb-14 19:35, John Curran wrote:
> Now, we can simply ignore the unique roles of governments (i.e. providing the
> legal framework in which the Internet operates, in enforcement of laws, and
> in protection of citizens from harm) when defining a framework for Internet
> governance, but the result is unlikely to address the angst that governments
> presently feel to trying to understand how to fulfill their responsibilities
> when it comes to the Internet.

While I understand the source of their angst, sort of, for those states
who take their responsibility for defending the people's Human Rights, I
would contend that there may be no way to resolve their self defined
angst other than subjecting the Internet completely to their tender
mercies.

I firmly believe that for most governments, once you let them have an
appropriate amount of control, they will over time work to gain complete
control.  It is in their nature - for the most part they believe they
are the only ones who understand the public good.

Addressing their angst cannot be our motivation for allow them to get
their heads in the tent.  Fair participation to address their
appropriate role and responsibility for Human Rights should be the only
consideration.

avri