[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Thu Feb 20 23:47:41 UTC 2014

At 23:07 20/02/2014, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
>Understood – I am put in mind of protests at varrious G8 and G20
>summits, etc. against “globalization” as such.  That still
>doesn’t equal USG/NSA control (not saying that is your position, Ian).

Good that you accept that point.

Now, the problem is that for many Americans, Snowden is a trauma. So
you are obsessed by surveillance. Keep cool. There are NSAs in every country.

What Snowden realy means for the Govs
(politicians/militaries/economists) is that he has shown the
technical vulnerability of the US tampered world technology,and the
unexpected over importance of the US relative global digital power as
too important for the stability of the world. Moreover, US appeas as
USG+NSA+USCC+GAFAT (google, amazon, facebook, apple, twitter: their
multilateral sovereignties by-passing national laws.This is too much
and this has to be corrected.

The trust in the American neutral unilaterality cannot be afforded
anymore. The technology has to be reviewed. ICANN is not the only one
in line, IETF/IEEE/W3C also are.to discussed. Merkel and Hollande are
no necessarily approaching it in the correct way yet. But the intent
is here. Snowden has been welcome by Putin, etc.

etc...

M G