[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67

Don Blumenthal dblumenthal at pir.org
Fri Feb 21 17:43:33 UTC 2014

Christian,

I think it’s fair to say that the general US principle is to tailor
remedies as narrowly as possible, so as to address harms adequately and
not overreach, and also avoid collateral damage.  To be honest, it doesn’t
always work out that way. However, I believe that it is the norm and, in
the case of Internet related matters, problems generally arise because of
ignorance of how the system works rather than any intent.

I can’t say that the principle is what has limited the methods that law
enforcement has used in Internet cases. I have never heard discussions of
remedies involving a root server. The fact is that law enforcement, again
in my experience, will look for the simplest and most effective way to get
the job done.  When it comes to removing problematic content from the
Internet, remedies aimed at DNS registration, DNS servers, or hosting
platforms fit that description. The latter two methods in particular give
law enforcement agencies another advantage. It is easy to include
provisions for redirections in the court orders, so that calls to a
specific host result in a banner that gives credit to an agency.

What I have written here is an overview. I can always go into more detail.
 I don’t know if root operators have discussed “what ifs” with respect to
possible law enforcement actions.

Regards,

Don