[discuss] rootservers

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Mon Feb 24 16:23:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-24 17:13, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> A country that gets 1 root server commissioned could generate a big
> event which can inturn challenge internet users, govts, businesses etc
> in the economy to act-up and become active in the naming world. So my
> summary is, it feels good when you think you own something ;).

Anyone that want a root server can contact many of the root server
operators, including Netnod, that are happy to deploy one or many in
your country. We have all different models for how this is done. We
(Netnod) locate root servers at neutral IX:es, and co-locate with the
TLDs that we run DNS for (mainly ccTLDs). Other root servers do things
differently.

I.e. getting a root server somewhere is easy, in many cases easier than
to get a TLD server.

   Patrik Fältström
   Head of Research and Development
   Netnod