[discuss] rootservers

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:38:46 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 2/24/14, 11:05 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> Hello Elisabeth,
>
> Looking at my country NG(and Africa as a whole) with an eye on the
> number in US. I wonder whether to be jealous or concerned, i think the
> later is more like it.
> It is my hope that the recent ICANN Africa strategy and its
> implementation will boost representation from Africa.
>
> On a lighter note, isn't this obvious proof that more effort and
> attention needs to be focused on Africa (developing nation)  ;)

IMO, the push has to come from Africa itself. There are several
organizations who would be more than happy to deploy servers in this
region, but the region also needs to commit and push for it.

This is not only true for root servers, but for other
projects/technologies also.

Also, this is not only true for Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean
are in a similar position. We need to push for having more servers
ourselves, we cannot expect the rest of the world to solve all our problems.

I also agree with others that having a root server is a 'nice to have'
thing, but currently there are already enough copies around to guarantee
the continued operation of the internet even in the face of the largest
attacks.

So, if an organization has some money to fund a project, I don't
necessarily believe that adding more copies is #1, but it rather should
be weighed carefully against other needs.

> Cheers!

cheers!

~Carlos