[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed Feb 26 19:23:43 UTC 2014

Avri,

Thanks.  See comments in line.

Steve

On Feb 26, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> Despite any comments I have made about the ICANN Board taking actions without having first vetted an issue with the community and having gotten the support and advice of its Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, I believe that when they do go to the community and the community comes up with nothing or something muddled, they are then empowered to figure out the right thing to do.

Yep.  However, see next comment.

> Sometimes that may involve going back and trying once again, and sometimes it may involve actually making a decision based on the best information they were able to get.

Speaking as chair of ICANN's Board of Directors, I can say strongly that we try very hard to avoid "figuring out the right thing" and making a unilateral decision even though the Board is populated with a number of people who are deeply knowledgeable in the various subject matters.  Instead, on those occasions where the community has not come up with something sufficient to deal with an issue, we will try to stimulate additional and alternative methods of generating good ideas.

This is the approach we took for Whois a little over a year ago.  The Expert Working Group -- see https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services for details -- was created as a result of the Board directing the CEO to develop a fresh approach.  The results of that working group will be used to stimulate community review and consensus.

> The point is not that the community is always able to make the decision, but in a bottom-up process, they should always have first call.

Yep.

Again, thanks.

Steve