[discuss] Conference: ICANN and Global Internet Governance: The Road to Sao Paulo, and Beyond, Singapore 21 March 2014

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Thu Feb 27 23:19:45 UTC 2014

John:

>snip

.Have you considered forming a list for those who wish to discuss VGNICS and IUse in  general?

>snip

Oh, they have -- iucg at ietf.org -- and they've been cross-posting to it regularly.  And you (subject to moderator approval, etc.) have just done so as well -- look at your cc line.  (I, however, have stopped the madness.)

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of John Curran
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:44 PM
To: Elisabeth Blanconil
Cc: discuss at 1net.org; iucg at ietf.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Conference: ICANN and Global Internet Governance: The Road to Sao Paulo, and Beyond, Singapore 21 March 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Elisabeth Blanconil <info at vgnic.org> wrote:

> Through its mission creep in the early 2000s ICANN has imposed itself as being "THE" Internet Governance. This is an obvious BUG that is to be fixed.
> We know how to fix it since most of us use the internet for years without using anything from ICANN. This is not because we oppose ICANN, this is just that ICANN is just a VGNIC as others ...

Good to know.

> In a nutshell we perfectly understand that some people wants to keep their 1983 terminology, but we are afraid they will only discuss a 1983 IG and not our IUser 2014 IG.

Elizabeth -

 Those interested in the just the "ICANN VGNIC" should be able to discuss its governance  solely using existing terminology if so desired, yes?

 I honestly cannot discern any indication of interest by those on the 1net discuss list to  expanding the discussion to include governance questions applicable to VGNICS in general  (as opposed to simply discussion of governance aspects of the "ICANN VGNIC")

 Since a basic principle your VGN model that user empowerment, i.e."let people organize things  the way they want it" then by definition those interested in just the ICANN VGNIC governance  discussions do not have to adopt your terminology, as it lies beyond scope of their chosen  model.  Have you considered forming a list for those who wish to discuss VGNICS and IUse in  general?

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00