[discuss] [I-coordination] New: How do we dissect Internet governance?--

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 6 09:12:04 UTC 2014

On Sunday 05 January 2014 10:51 PM, Mike Roberts wrote:
> The arrival of each new generation of communications technology
> enables and expands the power of various social, political and
> economic interests.

No it does not just uniformly expand, it differently impacts such
interests... Further, the concerned technology can be designed, evolved
and governed as to benefit some interests rather than others... This is
the key political issue in Internet governance. Rest is technical
coordination and management.

>  The Internet is just the latest such arrival, although the
> conjunction of the technology of moving bits with that of stored logic
> in computers has raised the bar considerably on deus ex machina
> considerations.  Jousting occurs as these interests attempt to reshape
> the landscape to fit their diverse visions of a better future.
>
> The Internet itself is amoral.

While, no technology is socially neutral, also it here further depends
on what you call as the Internet. Most people today understand by the
Internet a complex socio-technical artefact intertwined in various
social processes. The governance of the Internet is accordingly
socio-political ....

>  It neither advances nor retards human activities except through the
> actions of its users (including those who use the technology to
> provide services).

A technology is nothing but concretised human intentions .. Internet
impacts human activity even more through the intentions and actions of
its designers and 'governors' than through the actions of its users.

>  This list seems to be excessively caught up in debate and value
> judgments over what humans are or are not doing with use of Internet
> technology.

IMHO, it is still too much on technical details of the Internet . How
perspectives vary :)

>   In the early days of ICANN, we used to refer to this as special
> interest groups attempting to seize the ICANN agenda for their own
> purposes, whatever they might be, including those who favor a
> nihilistic "hands off the Internet" agenda.

Interesting, and what would be considered as "ICANN agenda"?

> Given the very limited sphere of potential influence of the Brazil
> meeting on Internet evolution, it might be helpful to focus on a
> pragmatic assessment of what outcomes of the meeting are feasible and
> useful and how the list members might advance them, emphasis on
> feasible and useful.

Very much agree...

Parminder