[discuss] Where to discuss privacy issues 1Net? [ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"]

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Tue Jan 7 00:45:52 UTC 2014

Hi Seun,
At 12:24 06-01-2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>This bring me to wonder, shouldn't this list
>(1Net) be an avenue to discuss such. Isn't
>privacy an IG issue? I had raised this before on
>this list but it seem not to interest folks much
>and i really wonder why privacy talks is at the current "status quo".

The internet governance discussions tend to be
about ICANN.  Privacy doesn't seem like a topic
which is of interest to the people on this
mailing list.  The status quo is likely due to lack of interest.

>Yeah the figure is quite interesting and
>surprising to me; i would expect if this cannot
>be discussed within 1NET(considering 1NET is
>mainly for global issues), it should at least be
>on tops agenda of IG platforms within Africa.
> From a few IG list which i belong where this
>information was shared, all what people said was
>"they are not aware such thing existed".
>Fortunately, you now know so what is to be done
>about it? Unless we are all waiting for its
>implementation before crying foul which will
>ofcourse be unfortunate. Otherwise SM's resolve will then be valid.
>
>This may have already been given the necessary
>attention on other platform (which i don't know)
>and i will appreciate pointer to such efforts

 From what I read, representatives from Benin,
Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Guinea,
Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria,
Senegal, Sierra Leone, and from ITU, ICANN,
AFRINIC, Google, UNIFORUM ZACR, Microsoft, ISOC
Afrique, DIPLO Foundation, and FOSSFA have
recommended that countries adopt the
convention.  There is an article at
http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2013/11/african-convention-cybercrimes-silence-free-speech-online
with content which may be similar to the ones you posted previously.

I guess that the organizations mentioned above
could be contacted to get their views about the
subject.  If there are any organizations speaking
on behalf of civil society and they have the
necessary expertise, they might be able to help.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy