[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Sat Jan 11 09:57:17 UTC 2014

Is it about 'real lives'? If so I fear we are all failing, as I find very little is discussed in the Internet governance context which seems to have any measurable connection with an improvement of real people's lives.

My hope for 1net is that this can be a place where that dynamic is changed. So far, bringing all the stakeholders together in one place has created the sum of their fears and resentments, rather than the sum of their hopes and desires to collaborate on improving things.

My suggestion to us all is: when originating an idea or responding to one, ask yourself: does this benefit any real person, or am I just stating my opinion or reacting to someone else's?

None can claim perfect adherence to this, myself included - but it seems like it is better to try than continue on as we are.

<snip>