[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 09:35:12 UTC 2014

Hi

There’s clearly a potential tension here that may not be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.  For the 1Net SC to only act as a conduit to LOG per Seun, there’d have to be agreement on which peak associations/networks can nominate.  But we see not only with CS but also business that there are folks saying who decided that only xyz peak association/network can nominate?  So if the SC simply passes along those nominations, it may get accused of deciding to exclude others, thereby demonstrating that 1Net is a grand design of dark unaccountable forces to control the universe, etc.

If instead we say ok anyone can nominate and the 1Net SC should do due diligence and select to ensure diversity and inclusion per Avri, then the SC has to pick among contending nominations.  In which case it may get accused of deciding to exclude others, thereby demonstrating that 1Net is a grand design of dark unaccountable forces to control the universe, etc.

As a member of the SC, I’m not excited about the prospect of us being put in position where we will stand accused no matter what we do.  Volunteering to try and help facilitate a process shouldn’t require body armor.  I hope that the stakeholder groups can either come to some internal consensus on who nominates on their behalf, or agree to accept that the SC will do its best to select if they can’t reach consensus themselves.  Please let’s try to avoid another stage of representational train wrecks so we can all start to focus on the Sao Paulo agenda.  The LOG has asked for substantive inputs on the agenda by March 1.

Thanks,

Bill

On Jan 12, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from Google nexus 4
> On 11 Jan 2014 21:23, "Avri Doria" <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems to me that the steering committee should receive candidate lists from those who wish to send them candidate lists.
> >
> You mean 1Net steering/coordinating committee that is still in the process of formation (Almost formed pending nomination from technical) should received nominations?
> >
>  They then have the responsibility for doing due diligence to make sure the appropriate diversity and inclusion requirements are met.
> >
> What other nomination is left apart from selecting a co-chair among the already nominated members of the 1Net steering committee for the br event?
>
> The way I see it, 1Net has 5 members in her 4 stakeholder representation which makes 20. There is a br event that requires 1Net to provide 3x4(stakeholders) for HLMC and 8 names for the EMC. Coincidentally, this still sum up to 20, as it's important that those who were nominated to coordinate/steer 1Net represent at the br event for proper reporting, follow-up and accountability. So the 1Net committee should just determine how they split into the HLMC and EMC for the one time br event.
>
> Cheers!
> >

> > On 11-Jan-14 15:02, Roland Perry wrote:
> >>
> >> In message <13e8ae07-0b60-4be0-80b6-ab81a3ef23e6 at email.android.com>, at
> >> 20:23:21 on Sat, 11 Jan 2014, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at ccianet.org> writes

> >> That's what I suspected (although use of the past tense before Xmas
> >> makes me wonder if the lists were ready then), but [to address the other
> >> issue] do we know if 1net is willing to process nominations from other
> >> business organisations as well?

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland