[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 14 08:31:37 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 01:05 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hello,
> At 19:40 13-01-2014, parminder wrote:
>> Like allowing one's data to be stored in or flow through the US, a
>> country where non US citizens have no legal right or recourse? Like
>> letting the DNS security architecture to be centralized and be in the
>> hands of US gov where again one has no legal right or recourse? I
>> completely agree. This situation needs to be remedied.. Should be the
>> priority number one of the Brazil meeting..
>
> If I understood the above correctly, the problems are:
>
>   (i)  Allowing one's data to be stored in the United States of America.
>
>   (ii) Allowing one's data to flow through the United States of America.
>
> I did not understand the part about "letting the DNS security
> architecture be centralized and be in the hands of the US gov.  It
> would help me understand that part if there were more details.

See
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2007/09/10/the-politics-of-dnssec-the-light-begins-to-dawn-at-ietf/

http://www.internetgovernance.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/SecuringTheRoot.pdf

by our friend Milton.

And despite writing this, while he advocates for the root to be freed
from US's executive authority, he is not ready to also free it from US's
legal and legislative authority.... Just freedom from executive
authority has little meaning, because not only a law can be created by
the US establishment at any time to do whatever it needs to do in its
national interest, there are existing laws that can any time be used to
interfere with the root, for instance, enabling laws related to the
Office of Foreign Assets Control (a foreign gTLD or ccTLD is of course a
foreign asset 'in the US').

As a US citizen Milton may not care, but it is for us of other countries
to care at least...

Milton, I may be wrong in characterising the implication of the ICANN
globalisation/ internationalisation proposal that you advocate, in which
case please do correct me....

parminder