[discuss] Interesting article

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Jan 14 10:53:18 UTC 2014

Dear Ali,

I get your point but I think perhaps it is tangential to mine. I'm not saying all that you say isn't true, I'm saying that the USG and the other 5-eyes countries are bad ambassadors for touting the open Internet, free speech online, etc because they've discredited themselves by saying one thing and doing another.

I am certainly not saying that other "sinners" are better emissaries - but there are countries who are much more credible since their national legal systems actually do what the US said it was doing, but was not. Switzerland, Iceland, a few others come to mind.

These are the kind of countries we need speaking up on open Internet issues - they have credibility.

Note here these are my views, based upon my being based in Geneva for years and therefore hearing very candid views from governments all over the world.